It’s the last week of March and if you live in Ontario, Canada that means you start the Spring push. It’s the time of year we’re so frustrated with snow and cold that we cosmically try to change the weather by wearing inappropriate clothing. This morning I saw a couple of people walking their dogs in long sleeved shirts, hats, scarves and shorts. It was still below zero, but I understood their game plan. If Winter is being stubborn, as Canadians we must take matters into our own hands and push back. So get mad people! Get out your flip flops and suck it up.
There’s a reason Winter is portrayed in movies and fairy tales as a grumpy old man. Just like any grumpy old man, at first you find him amusing, you play along doing your best to ignore his cackling. Then he starts to wear on you and you begin to mirror his grumpiness. Finally you can’t take it anymore and you snap (hence, shorts with hats) and you seek some more enjoyable company.
The good news is Spring is coming and if Winter is a grumpy old man, Spring is an overly enthusiastic aerobics instructor with a pony tail. It’s bouncy, light, and airy and she’s heading our way. You know how I know? At my house there are always tell tale signs.
- There’s only a pin head size dot of polish on my big toe leftover from my August pedicure.
- The snow is melting in the back yard and I can see all the land bombs (dog poop) I’ve neglected to pick up in three months
- Baseball hats are littering the house. On every level. On every surface.
- The big stinky hockey bag that is always in the dining room has now been replaced by a big stinky baseball bag.
- The Boy has stopped wearing pajama pants and is walking around the house shirtless. Related: I see a reality show in his future.
- I’m starting to hoard exercise videos again.
- The dirt on the windows is mocking me.
- The winter boots have gone from being an unorganized pile in front of the door, to a heap in the bottom of the closet along with hats, mitts and scarves waiting to be shoved into one big “Winter” bag.
- MUD – on the floor, on the dog, on the car…
- I have an intense need to paint everything and have already begun my weekly trips to Home Depot.
Yup, it’s coming. And it’s not just me. These kinds of posts are showing up on Pinterest.
So have no fear, Spring will be here soon in all her yoga pants and scrunchie glory and the only one who can take her down is the Biotch, the mean girl we call Summer who brings the heat and takes her out, so jealous of Spring she frizzes her hair and makes her cry all the way home.